28.12.10

keep nontradition alive


This holiday season has been out of the ordinary, to say the least.

For Thanksgiving, we ate out at restaurants for both meals. Don't get me wrong, there are few things I like more than James Schroeder's Jefferson Hotel cooking...but it's different.

The "Blizzard of 2010" created a beautiful, though unusual, scene of snow in Richmond.

I
t was also my first Christmas cooking dinner for the entire family. A black tablecloth with black napkins and deep red roses (a gift from Mr. Harris) created a different feeling around the table. Root, mussels pistou, caramelized onion & grapefruit salad, and homemade banana pudding were a few of the foreign delights I served on the 25th.

My mother even displayed a lovely form of rebellion from the norm, with blue and black presents from London gracing the bottom of the tree.

Looking back I realize how details such as color and taste are tiny tactics to keep my own personal form of invention alive, particularly around the most traditional time of the year.

No comments: