19.10.07

trading places

No, I'm not talking about the 1983 movie with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. I am talking about vegetables.

I am no longer allowed to eat leafy greens, as they contain high amounts of Vitamin K, which is one of the most important nutrients in your body (not mine) responsible for clotting blood. Foods like spinach, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and cranberries all contain the highest amounts of Vitamin K. While two tablespoons of parsley contain 153% of the recommended daily amount, a cup of spinach lettuce contains nearly 4,000 times the daily amount.

Foods containing high amounts of Vitamin K would counteract with my Coumadin, thereby increasing my blood coagulation levels. While your blood has to be at a thinness of 1, mine has to be between a 2 and 3 (the numbers are reversed).

So, I have vowed to return to my southern roots and remain properly nourished with okra. I am sure Paula Deen would be proud.

Forget the cuisine, I am saying "more okra please."

No comments: